Azzor.com  

Go Back   Azzor.com > Azzor.com Community > World of Warcraft

Old 05-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Nelsieus
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nelsieus
Default Could this be a WoW expansion?

I was on another board and saw that a title called Burning Crusade was supposedly registered in the US Patent office by Blizzard recently, so I decided to see if I myself could find it, and sure enough, I did.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel...tate=ddn390.2.1
(If the link doesn't work, you can find the information by http://www.uspto.gov/, and doing a search of Burning Crusade under "Trademarks Search.")

Here is the information found on that page:

Word Mark THE BURNING CRUSADE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer game software; computer game software and manuals sold as a unit; interactive video game programs; interactive computer game programs, downloadable computer game software, downloadable interactive entertainment software for playing computer games, downloadable interactive entertainment software for playing video games; pre-recorded video tapes, video cassettes, CD-ROMs, DVDs, compact discs, and video discs, featuring entertainment related to games and music
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78621921
Filing Date May 3, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 5th Floor 6060 Center Drive Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90045
Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Well, this leaves much speculation. This could be a new game Blizzard will be working on, or it could be an expansion to World of Warcraft. I wonder, though, why Blizzard would be working on an expansion when the main game is still under heavy work and probably will be for the next few months. On the other hand, this is just a patent for the title, so maybe they haven't even started working on the new game yet, and plan that it will take several months to complete, well in time after they get problems associated with WoW fixed and people are well ready for an expansion. I also found this on the official WoW site:

"From the ranks of the powerful Eredar, Sargeras picked two champions to command his demonic army of destruction. Kil'jaeden the Deceiver was chosen to seek out the darkest races in the universe and recruit them into Sargeras' ranks. The second champion, Archimonde the Defiler, was chosen to lead Sargeras' vast armies into battle against any who might resist the Titan's will.

Once Sargeras saw that his armies were amassed and ready to follow his every command, he launched his raging forces into the vastness of the Great Dark. He referred to his growing army as the Burning Legion. To this date, it is still unclear how many worlds they consumed and burned on their unholy Burning Crusade across the universe."

This was found under the "in game support" area on the official WoW site under the title "Who is Sargeras?"

Maybe this suggests that this "Burning Crusade" title is indeed going to somehow be associated with WoW.

Very, very interesting...

Last edited by Nelsieus; 05-30-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Nelsieus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Metziel
Network Admin

Send a message via AIM to Metziel Send a message via MSN to Metziel Send a message via Yahoo to Metziel
Default Re: Could this be a WoW expansion?

Very, very nice work, Ath! This could suggest that they will be releasing an expansion for WoW allowing you to open the dark portal and go to outland!

I, for one, am amazed... I guess that I buy this, as I have searched the trademark office myself and seen it. Once again, very nice work, Ath!
Metziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Petah
LotRO Site Manager

That is great news. I should level up a bit though, shouldn't I Formless
Petah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
killer_ewok
Azzor Junior Member

MABYE ITS WARCRAFT 4!?!?! Actually it's gotta be cause it cant' be a prequeal to warcraft 3 then it would just be warcraft 2. So mabye Archamoide has come back and you gotta stop his crusade again.

Last edited by killer_ewok; 05-30-2005 at 12:32 PM.
killer_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Joe
Azzor Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe

no way, Blizzard are much to busy with WoW to try another WC
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Nelsieus
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nelsieus

Aside from expansions to WoW, I don't think Blizzard will be revisiting the Warcraft franchise anytime soon. Like, atleast years at minimum. In my opinion, WoW was like the grand finale to the Warcraft series.
Nelsieus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
Petah
LotRO Site Manager

I agree. They finished most of their part of the story. Now it is up to us to decide the fate of the World of Warcraft.
Petah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Ciel
Azzor Guru

Send a message via AIM to Ciel

Right. No way there will be anymore WC RTS games. WoW will be the never-ending finale of the WC series .

And yes, this does sound like an expansion! However, if they just recently got the patent, chances are most of the staff doesn't even know about the expansion (the exectives at Blizzard would reserve the name before releasing the name to their employees, to prevent blackmail) yet.

I would expect maybe this holiday season for the expansion...it would be very suprising if it wasn't a holiday season for the expansion's release, and 2 years without an expansion can't be very good for business...with EQII releasing expansions, WoW would be bound to lose many customers without something new like this to spice things up.
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
confessor24
Azzor Junior Member

Awesome news, but I hope that Blizzard will FINALLY be smart and fix all of the major problems with the original game first before releasing an expansion. Lord knows WoW was released at least a year too soon...the game still isn't anywhere near where it should have been at release, and now (if this is indeed an expansion) there is an expansion planned?

Is my $15/month is going to the hiring or more programmers and designers for an expansion, or is it being used to fix the issues with the current game?
confessor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
Tunari_The_predator

*think, think, think* yea, i guess i'll go with the flow; it has gotta be an expansion. lets do some speculations, do you think that illidan's faction will come in? that is the naga, blood elves, and the dranei.

anyway, its really sad that warcraft's rts will stop, i hope a new franchise will be invented.