Go Back   Azzor.com > Azzor.com Community > World of Warcraft

Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
hotmamamage
Azzor Newcomer

Question The EVILS of Gold Selling...

SO,

I was reading Azzor's article on "the truth about IGE"
http://wow.azzor.com/445/ige_gold_industry.php

While I found it sensational, and quite informative, SOME (not all) SOME of the information is not correct. Azzor can contact me personally to see what I'm talking about. But while I abhor those buyer to company websites that essentially rip people off with near highway robbery status... something does need to be strongly considered.

Blizzard would loose a large base of bored players due to slower than molasses leveling progression. I speak from experience who, when I had first begun playing wow a year or two ago... i was going to throw in the towel about 4 months into it(mind you, my first toon was a priest, and i didn't know any better haha) when my neighbor was going to be leaving the country offered to sell me his account. So... for 20 bucks, I acquired my first 60 (the cap at that time). I was kept well busy in end game content until Burning came out.

So here is some food for thought. Most of us i'm sure would stick to our guns and say companies like IGE are less than good. But what about *url edited* THey aren't a gold selling company per se, but rather a platform for player to player trading. Some of us who know are familiar with those older trading forums which offered no security. ANd since ebay stopped the trading of digital assets, there is now an American based company who willing to take the risk and hop in board in this industry.

What do you guys think? I know it sounds like an advert, but believe me, i've tried searching for other player to player trading sites and havent found any. ANywya, this could be big, and for someone like myself who is about to leave the country... i really dont think it would be a bad idea to make a few bucks off selling an account or item or two.

Discuss!

hotmamamage

Last edited by Bizzam; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.
hotmamamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Collateral Damage
Azzor Senior Member

Default Re: The EVILS of Gold Selling...

The whole problem with this idea is that by virtue of selling your account or anything to someone for real-world money, you break the End User License Agreement (EULA) that came with the game. You must remember that you agreed to abide by those rules so long as your account is active. You also must remember that Blizzard owns your account and anything in it. So, to say that it's your's wouldn't be totally correct. They own all of the rights to the game, players accounts, and anything in them.

Considering the above, I'm left to sit on one simple position; we at Azzor will continue to not allow Gold Selling, Account Selling, or anything else that is in anyway related to that. To try and skirt the playing of the game just because it seems too slow for some is no reason to break the rules that the game makers made. Besides, the point of the game is to have fun from start to finish, not just at the finish.

If one cannot make it to 60 or 70 without giving up, then they simply need to quit while they're ahead.

CD
Collateral Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
fallspencer
Azzor Newcomer

Lightbulb Re: The EVILS of Gold Selling...

Hi y'all. May I post my humble opinion without the possibility of getting flamed or banned? Last I checked it's a free country.

Anyways, hear me out: Collateral Damage says that "Blizzard owns your account and anything in it." I'm bothered that all the hard work and long hours I put into leveling my character - not to mention farming all that gold on my own - still does not give me the right to do whatever I want to do with my account. I gave up a social life to get the most of what I pay to Blizzard each month. I died a thousand deaths (literally in the game) to get where I am. My toons have all the cool stuff that is the envy of my guildies. All the blood, sweat and tears invested in gaming -- and in spite of all that I don't have the right to all the aforementioned cool stuff?

This is really sad. I think Blizzard's rules regarding ownership are unfair. They are company rules but are they the law? Aren't they going too far? They collect 15 bucks from you and except you to turn over the fruits of your Herculean labor over to them.

I'm suddenly reminded of that scene in the classic Looney Tunes cartoon showing Daffy Duck in Ali Baba's cave of treasures, stomping mercilessly on Bugs Bunny while shouting maniacally: "It's mine you understand? All mine!!! Down, down, down, mine, mine, mine!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!"

That's Blizz for you in a nutshell.

Peace. I'm outta here.
fallspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
fallspencer
Azzor Newcomer

"They collect 15 bucks from you and except you to turn over the fruits of your Herculean labor over to them."

Whoops. Should be "expect". My bad.
fallspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Collateral Damage
Azzor Senior Member

falllspencer:

While I can totally relate to what you're saying, the only problem with that thinking is that YOU agreed to the very rules that you now are speaking out against. When you signed up, you had to accept the Terms and Conditions, and the End User License Agreement. These bind all things acquired in the game to Blizzard, pardon the pun.

As much as I'd love to be able to sell sets of stuff legally online for real-world cash, it's just not a part of the game that Blizzard feels best sums up their idea of the experience. They want players to play it for the social aspects: the leveling, questing, and raiding with guildmates that goes on on there. They don't want people to make money off of them.

Quite simply; it's their game, and they make the rules. We must either play by those rules, or we must go find a game that allows us to play by the ones that we like.

Better yet, you could go make one that DOES allow you to sell for real-world cash!!! If you did that, then I'm sure many would-be WoW farmers would come join you. 'Tis a thought...

CD
Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
hotmamamage
Azzor Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral Damage
falllspencer:

While I can totally relate to what you're saying, the only problem with that thinking is that YOU agreed to the very rules that you now are speaking out against. When you signed up, you had to accept the Terms and Conditions, and the End User License Agreement. These bind all things acquired in the game to Blizzard, pardon the pun.

As much as I'd love to be able to sell sets of stuff legally online for real-world cash, it's just not a part of the game that Blizzard feels best sums up their idea of the experience. They want players to play it for the social aspects: the leveling, questing, and raiding with guildmates that goes on on there. They don't want people to make money off of them.

Quite simply; it's their game, and they make the rules. We must either play by those rules, or we must go find a game that allows us to play by the ones that we like.

Better yet, you could go make one that DOES allow you to sell for real-world cash!!! If you did that, then I'm sure many would-be WoW farmers would come join you. 'Tis a thought...

CD
While I understand the EULA and such there is a principle that some of those ebay sellers of old used to employ in their adds which is something like this:

"I am not selling this game account or any product herein, because they are the sole property of Blizzard. I am merely selling the time I invested in playing the account and for the status that is has been raised to."

We could take issue that Blizzard's EULA also makes it clear that we can not share our account with others, but then again this isn't exactly sharing either... but a complete transference of ownership. Now, I won't beef anymore up on this point because really I am not condoning or supporting this. But I do want to make a slight rant based off of what was said.

You said "hey want players to play it for the social aspects: the leveling, questing, and raiding with guildmates that goes on on there." Here lies the problem. I am an experienced player, but would like to have a high level mage character...

must I be FORCED to endure the gruel and tedium of now leveling it up 79 levels? On top of this, (this is a hasty generalization, but all too true on my server and others i'm sure) from levels 1-55 you are basically on your OWN. There are hardly ANY social aspects to the game now because everyone is in the upper tiers. Try finding ANYONE to go with you through the old instances. Try finding a group in those lower levels for group quests. Sorry... the journey is LONG, LONLEY, repetitive, boring, maybe a little bit torturous if all you want to do is play your mage in high level bgs and arenas.

Let's talk about Blizzard's muff ups with the DKs. Sure... they were great fun with their starting area, storyline and such. But once your in outland... IT IS NOTHING BUT DEATH KNIGHTS.

Here is my qualm. Blizzard is unwilling or unable at this point to set up something similar to what Sony has set up with their Station Cash. Why can't experience players be allowed to start high level toons, or even allow trading between players?

As for the site that I mentioned way back when... it has taken off and some of my friends have traded securely on that site. They even have a ribbon on their site that pledges against in game spamming which is one thing I abhor. If there is a company in digital asset exchange that is at least making strides to improve our digital worlds, isn't this something worth discussing in the community, maybe even that Blizzard would catch on?

peace
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
hotmamamage
Azzor Newcomer

Oh, and I would like to add, that you mention with regard to going through questing and leveling. Let us be realistic... the average person, and I mean AVERAGE person... how long would it take to get to 80... ? 3-4 months AT LEAST. FOr casual gamers, I'm sorry to say, even from a business perspective, you can expect low retention rates.

Anyway, this may be of interest:
*link removed*

Last edited by Bizzam; 02-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #8
Collateral Damage
Azzor Senior Member

@hotmamamage:

While you make several good points, I'd like to point out that if you don't want to grind all the way to the top, and just want to "skip" to the top tier, then why play at all? In my opinion, that's cheating the system. There's no experience with the character, and you didn't build it.

Therefore, you have a character that you didn't build, in an area that you don't know, and just get to go beat up stuff... Doesn't sound too fun to me. I guess I just don't see it from your perspective.

Sorry if that's a problem, but 'tis just the way that I see it.

As for the selling time thing, if a player wants to sell their time playing a game, then they can be more than happy to do so. That being said, they need to stop calling it Character selling, else they break the EULA. They aren't selling the characters, they're selling the time they put into the characters.. So, they should call it playtime-selling.

Just sayin'.

CD