Azzor.com  

Go Back   Azzor.com > Azzor.com Community > World of Warcraft

Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
Collateral Damage
Azzor Senior Member

Default WoWHead.com Down for the count. Can we take her place?

I just wanted to post a response to the front page news of WoWHead.com's demise. I want to challenge all of us here to step up and make this the number 1 place to hit for WoW-related content, as this is one of the last bastions of no-gold sites anywhere on the web. With IGE taking a monopoly on the WoW fansite market, we stand a chance of being overtaken by them.

However, if we can start rolling some features out that make this site less dependent on others for information, than maybe, just maybe, we can pull ahead of them and stay that way. When they ask for us to sell (and they will, rest assured), we tell them no, and move forward on our way to the top. What we need to do is support the people that actually WORK for their earnings in-game, not buy them from some third party.

Right now, we stand on the precipice of greatness. Can we take the top spot and stay there? I think we can. But it'll take some doing. Can we do this quickly? That depends entirely on how badly everyone here wants it.

What say you??

CD
Collateral Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Rollie
Lord of the Realms

Default Re: WoWHead.com Down for the count. Can we take her place?

We have some great new things in store for Azzor, but I don't know that going head to head in the database department is something we'll be doing anytime soon. Right now we need to focus on updating woefully outdated content and continued work on new features.
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Kharma
Azzor Junior Member

ZAM, the people who bought WoWHead are no longer affiliated with IGE it would seem.

$1 million dollars though, thats one hell of a buy out.
Kharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Collateral Damage
Azzor Senior Member

Not when you consider the money that they'll get from the traffic to the website alone into the equation. It's quite obvious that it'll be well worth their while to have bought it out.

Just an observation, mind you.

CD
Collateral Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Taemojitsu
Azzor Newcomer

Brock Pierce, the person who founded IGE and its CEO (according to the writeup on this very site), is from what I gather still CEO of Affinity Media. He's not working with virtual currency anymore, because it's become too difficult to be profitable in that area with the competition from China... but he's still the very same individual who was in charge of the largest gold-selling company for multiple games including WoW.

Is Wowhead going to be any worse of a site? No. Are they going to run gold-seller ads? Again, no, because virtual goods is no longer their business strategy. But as for myself, I just don't trust them to act entirely honorably as a company (Affinity media) in the future, and I wouldn't want to be paying, directly or indirectly, the salary of someone who did used to be involved in gold selling.

So Wowhead no longer has my support. Your own opinion of the ethics of the situation may differ. But I guess it's a good thing that Blizzard is at least trying to offer database services in the form of the Armory, no matter how laggy and craptastic it is. Looking at what happened to EQ fansites with the whole Yantis thing, I'm a bit disappointed Blizzard didn't buyout Wowhead themselves...

...but I guess that would have too risky and efficient for them to try, and they instead prefer to develop their own, inferior solutions that don't involve third parties not already employed by Vivendi.
Taemojitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Leparous
Azzor Master

Send a message via ICQ to Leparous Send a message via AIM to Leparous Send a message via MSN to Leparous

Ugh, not much to say other than it's another site I won't want to hit up anymore because of the backbone and history behind ZAM.

All in all, I don't think Blizzard is in need of buying out any sort of database site...the armory is still in it's infancy, and being that it's "the source", it'll be the best, and most accurate database to utilize. I would assume that they have much more in store considering where it's at currently.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Kharma
Azzor Junior Member

Its taken all of a day or so but http://www.wowdigger.com/ seems to be stepping up as the next big database site.
Kharma is offline   Reply With Quote