Azzor.com  

Go Back   Azzor.com > Azzor.com Community > World of Warcraft

Old 03-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
EtherealWinds
Azzor Junior Member

Default In-game map

I haven't seen alot of details listed on the in-game map feature, and, honestly, I'm too lazy to scan through all those pages of threads just to get an answer. But does anyone know how they will be doing the in-game map? I mean, i assume that they wont have the entire world revealed on your map from the begining. The way i see it in my eyes is that depending on what faction you start as, you have your faction's cities fulyl revealed on your map, as well as the safest (but not necessarily the fastest) way there. And you will have to adventure out into the wilderness to reveal more of it? Makes sense to me, but if i'm wrong or left anything out, please let me know, thanks
EtherealWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
PieDragon
Azzor Guru

I think there may be an accessable fully visible in game map at the beginning, but I am not sure. I've seen pictures of a world map, but they didn't give any details about the mechanics of it to my knowledge. They seem gungho on facilitating gameplay though, so I'd almost expect it to be fully revealed.

And of course there's also the minimap, which you probably are aware of.
PieDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
Thelvadyen
Azzor Master

Once you visit important locations they're added to your map. Or so I hear.
Thelvadyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
EtherealWinds
Azzor Junior Member

Yea Thelvadyen, that sounds about right to me. And if, at release, the map IS fully revealed, i hope it is a feature that can be turned off. Personally i like exploring the game myself, not being handed a map. Takes the fun out of it.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #5
Thelvadyen
Azzor Master

Quote:
Originally posted by EtherealWinds
Yea Thelvadyen, that sounds about right to me. And if, at release, the map IS fully revealed, i hope it is a feature that can be turned off. Personally i like exploring the game myself, not being handed a map. Takes the fun out of it.
You get experience for exploring and finding new places. It would be pretty stupid of them to make it just a matter of following a waypoint on your map to get these experience rewards.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
EtherealWinds
Azzor Junior Member

Oh I see! I like the sound of that... i always said, while playing EQ and such games, that with all the running and exploring you should get more of a reward other than just getting to see new things. Like maybe gain1 exp per step you take in a straight line, or something (so as not to be exploited by simply running in circles). I mean by running you ARE increasing your physical stamina, so i see no reason why you wouldn't get exp from from traveling on foot to places.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
Thelvadyen
Azzor Master

Quote:
Originally posted by EtherealWinds
Oh I see! I like the sound of that... i always said, while playing EQ and such games, that with all the running and exploring you should get more of a reward other than just getting to see new things. Like maybe gain1 exp per step you take in a straight line, or something (so as not to be exploited by simply running in circles). I mean by running you ARE increasing your physical stamina, so i see no reason why you wouldn't get exp from from traveling on foot to places.
WoW rewards your exploration in a one-time manner. You can't just reward people for no reason other than their ability to move in a straight line. There's nothing to it, so it'll be an emtpy reward. That and it'd only lead to exploitation. I think what Blizzard has in mind is fine.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #8
swingkat
Azzor Member

Send a message via ICQ to swingkat

I've done some reading up on this...

1) There are 2 maps... the mini-map and the world map.

> You can make PINGS (like in war3) on the minimap to tell your group where to rally and what not.
> You can add notes to the world map for like where to find certain items (IE. WHERE TO MINE - if you have a mining skill)
> You get experience for exploring a new world... i'm not sure how this works but it's probably not on a "per-step" basis.
> Your body shows up as a blip on the mini-map once you die.

Those are the kick ass things I read.
swingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
EtherealWinds
Azzor Junior Member

Sounds good to me.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
D3athknight
Azzor Member

I've heard the same, it works as so:

You're in a forest that you've explored before, but aren't gaining any exp from the creeps in said forest so you decide to go exploring. You exit the forest and come to an open plain. Because you haven't been there, and you hadn't known it was there, (supposedly) you gain exp for breaking the border between the forest and the plain. But now that you've been there, you can't gain exp again from entering it again. This method would work for all new ares that aren't like cities or something.

I think that that's how it will work, but i guess i can't be sure. But, it makes sense to me, anyone else feel the same, or have anything to say about what i wrote? Please reply.
D3athknight is offline   Reply With Quote