Azzor.com  

Go Back   Azzor.com > Azzor.com Community > World of Warcraft

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
Dalgar
Azzor Master

Send a message via AIM to Dalgar Send a message via MSN to Dalgar Send a message via Yahoo to Dalgar
Default PvP in World of Warcraft

During the development of World of Warcraft, Blizzard developers their "three cornerstone" approach to designing the game. The three cornerstones were:
  1. PvE Content
  2. PvP Content
  3. World as a Toy: Fun things to do in the world without killing

Everyone knows that the PvE content in WoW is amazing. Blizzard has also done a great job with "world as a toy". Dozens of emotes, many professions, scenic gryphon rides, and bustling auction houses all provide enjoyment out of combat.

World of Warcraft's PvP content, on the other hand, has been the subject of more criticism. What do you think of PvP combat in World of Warcraft? Do you enjoy it? If so, what qualities make it entertaining? If not, what could make WoW's pvp better?

Do you think the honor system has improved WoW's pvp? What effect will Battlegrounds have?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
Storm
Azzor Grandmaster

Send a message via MSN to Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalgar
...and bustling auction houses all provide enjoyment out of combat.
You mean those Laghouses?

Quote:
World of Warcraft's PvP content, on the other hand, has been the subject of more criticism. What do you think of PvP combat in World of Warcraft? Do you enjoy it? If so, what qualities make it entertaining? If not, what could make WoW's pvp better?
I enjoy the PvP the game has to offer, although it does sometimes get in the way of my lvl 56 butt, occassionally found partied with 2 or solo questing, when I'm not instancing. It just puts me right in the spot unvolunteered, target to every Horde PvP-er passing by. There is a satisfaction in it though, that I've perhaps outsmarted the ones who lay seige on me in running away after a Psychic Scream, or actually turning the tables and killed the ambushers. Its a fun atmosphere, and the relatively short corpse runs rarely make you regret PvP, which is good.

Quote:
Do you think the honor system has improved WoW's pvp?
The honor system needs work. Here's a small list of the flaws:-

-:- As of now, I can camp a poor Hordie 5 levels below me with Shadowmeld and keep repeatadly killing for Honor Points, for which I should technically be losing honor.

-:- Especially in raids, AoE casters such as Mages and Consecrating Paladins get tons more Honor Points than Single-target hitters such as Warriors and Priests. Thats because they earn more "Contribution Points" in the war for doing a whole lot more overall damage. I feel sorry for Holy Priests, who have focused on healing their foes and outlasting the other, yet they recieve no honor for doing so.

-:- Locations such as Gadgetzan's Flight Masters are 'camped' all day long by the opposite faction, whose only purpose is to kill you as soon as you land, and keep repeatadly ganking.

Of course, being negative all the time never helps. I like the benefits Honor System offers alongside:-

-:- The Alliance and Horde are showing more unity within their ranks. Fellow Human Paladin being double teamed? Join in the fray and retaliate, and earn Honor Points for doing so!

-:- An incentive for players to utilize the PvP system WoW has.

-:- Gives us more of a reason to respond to the World Defense channel, gather a strike force, and fight back for your faction.

-:- Suddenly, the world seems a whole lot better place for the Rogue class.

Quote:
What effect will Battlegrounds have?
Personally, I'm looking forward to Battlegrounds. Sounds just like Wc3, except you are no longer the hand in the sky, but rather the grunt with their own will, and the ability to make individual choices. In the end though, you are just one giant force taking over territory with strategic manouvers. Very cool
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Viperx11
Azzor Guru

Send a message via AIM to Viperx11 Send a message via MSN to Viperx11

Honor System definately needs work; I am not even getting contribution for my kills! But in the end, it's a good idea and I'm glad it's in. Except for the extra lag it has caused, and the zerging problems some people are suffering.

I'll be taking most of my PvP to Battlegrounds when they hit next patch. Less lag, more fun.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Ivaron
Azzor Master

Send a message via AIM to Ivaron Send a message via MSN to Ivaron

I have a split opinion about it. One the one hand, i think it's completely cool. On the other hand, i feel sorry for the people in Stranglethorn, especially around Nesingwary's expedition (on my server that is seriously THE worst camping spot ever. it was already terrible, with people camping their all day - especially alliance it seems. But maybe that's just cuz im horde . But now it's even worse. You can't take a step within 20 feet of Nesingwary or you're dead, and you might better give up on corpse-running because it would take you 3 days to ever get out of there alive). The biggest problem with Nesingwary's expedition, and Stranglethorn as a whole is that the high levelers only go their to get to badlands and such, which means they will be less likely to come and help others. While the alliance players on the other hand, are closer to home.

@Stormy, didn't healers receive honour for healing in the same way damage is counted as honor?

Last but not least, i think the camping and everything will decrease tremendously once the battlegrounds exist. The main problem now is that they don't exist yet
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Viperx11
Azzor Guru

Send a message via AIM to Viperx11 Send a message via MSN to Viperx11

Priests dont get honor for healing per se. It's just that in a regular 5 man group (not in raid groups I dont think) the whole group gets contribution points for an honorable kill. So the priest or druid who just healed the whole time will still get points.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Lord_Aramias
Azzor Newcomer

The pvp system is working for me. I enjoy my time is WoW much more since the patch. The world is now as it should be...at war. No more letting that player pass you by because it will take too much time to kill them...now they die, or you die trying to kill them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
-:- As of now, I can camp a poor Hordie 5 levels below me with Shadowmeld and keep repeatadly killing for Honor Points, for which I should technically be losing honor.

-:- Especially in raids, AoE casters such as Mages and Consecrating Paladins get tons more Honor Points than Single-target hitters such as Warriors and Priests. Thats because they earn more "Contribution Points" in the war for doing a whole lot more overall damage. I feel sorry for Holy Priests, who have focused on healing their foes and outlasting the other, yet they recieve no honor for doing so.

As I understand the honor system if you repeatedly kill the same person over and over you will not get any honor points after 3kills. Blizzard has said it will work the same as their dimissing returns on spells. 1st time 100% 2nd time 50%, 3rd time 30% and than immune. You will still get a honor kill but no points which is what really matters.

Also my fellow Lord Gheshtar and my self ran a little test on the idea that Mages who AOE in raid parties will get more honor than a single target player such as a rogue. In one day I killed 40 some people, most of them solo and I recieved 2122 honor points. Gheshtar killed 200+ people while in a raid on TM, some of those kills he didn't even damage because his raid/party killed them before he could get there. I have not heard from him on his honor points for the day yet, as soon as I do I will post it. As a rogue I am avg about 50 honor points per kill since the patch. While he has been avg around 30-40 per kill. Well will see what happens.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Chewster
Azzor Addict

Send a message via MSN to Chewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
-:- Suddenly, the world seems a whole lot better place for the Rogue class.
One could argue wether that is good or not.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Storm
Azzor Grandmaster

Send a message via MSN to Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Aramias
As I understand the honor system if you repeatedly kill the same person over and over you will not get any honor points after 3kills. Blizzard has said it will work the same as their dimissing returns on spells. 1st time 100% 2nd time 50%, 3rd time 30% and than immune. You will still get a honor kill but no points which is what really matters.
Yet, you can still do it. I believe there should be a loss of honour here, and normal honour gained if they attack you first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Aramias
Also my fellow Lord Gheshtar and my self ran a little test on the idea that Mages who AOE in raid parties will get more honor than a single target player such as a rogue. In one day I killed 40 some people, most of them solo and I recieved 2122 honor points. Gheshtar killed 200+ people while in a raid on TM, some of those kills he didn't even damage because his raid/party killed them before he could get there. I have not heard from him on his honor points for the day yet, as soon as I do I will post it. As a rogue I am avg about 50 honor points per kill since the patch. While he has been avg around 30-40 per kill. Well will see what happens.
I did mention that Rogues are getting quite a lot of benefit out of this, because their individual damage is very high comparing to other classes, who have other purposes. But these other purposes screw you over in Honor Points, because its so biased towards damage dealing. I guess Rogues can be an exception towards the Single-Target-Hitters I mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewster
One could argue wether that is good or not.
Hush it you!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
Lord_Aramias
Azzor Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
Yet, you can still do it. I believe there should be a loss of honour here, and normal honour gained if they attack you first.

So you want a dishonor system as well. I understand that, but to me it works this way... I have yet to be corspe camped since the patch...why sit on me when there are many other players alive they can try and kill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
I did mention that Rogues are getting quite a lot of benefit out of this, because their individual damage is very high comparing to other classes, who have other purposes. But these other purposes screw you over in Honor Points, because its so biased towards damage dealing. I guess Rogues can be an exception towards the Single-Target-Hitters I mentioned before.

I am not sure how it works but I did read something about this on the blizzard forum/site. For support classes like priest they would still get honor points from a kill that they contributed to. Maybe we need a view from a priest who is active in pvp and is not shadow spec'd.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
WarTorment
Azzor Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to WarTorment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivaron
i feel sorry for the people in Stranglethorn, especially around Nesingwary's expedition (on my server that is seriously THE worst camping spot ever.
Same on my server, but we horde rule :P GO HORDE if i'm in a party there, and there are ally guys attacking...we kick ass and get tons of honor. i went there a short while ago and made like 50hp in less than 1 hour
Closed Thread